I think we are all guilty of letting work impact our home life at times. I noticed that after complaining to my husband about a bad day at work, he just felt annoyed thats all I ever talked about, and I still didn’t feel any better about work. He would always tell me to just not think about it, and of course I would say it’s just not that easy, but maybe it is. I have made a conscious effort this week that as soon as I get in my car to head home to not think about, worry about, or talk about work while I was at home. I found that I have had a better attitude at home and enjoy my evening more. I also feel that I am not as frustrated at work because I am not thinking about everything I do day in and day out. As easy as it is to just say “don’t worry about it” I also want to share 5 tips with you for how to leave work at work.
- If you need to work 15-30 minutes late to finish something important up, do it. But do it at the office don’t break out the laptop at home. Keep work at work, not home.
- Leave your desk organized so when you come in the next morning you can easily get started on what you need to do.
- Set realistic expectations, don’t go home and get worked up about everything you need to do if you know it can not all be done. Make a priority list when you are at work and just cross them off as you can.
- Plan a fun evening activity, do something you enjoy at night. Wether that be blogging, taking a bubble bath, or watching a movie with your husband.
- Have a positive attitude. I know it sounds silly but having a positive attitude is so important and makes your day go by much smother. Bad things will happen, but you will get through them.